Everybody likes to showcase his or her abs! But, sculpting the stomach is not an easy job. It requires buckets full of sweat, sheer dedication, and infinite self-motivation every single day.
Want to Build a Strong Core?
While we enjoy a good abs workout, the core is not just about having a flat stomach—it also includes your sides, particularly your obliques.
Strong obliques will help you in improving your posture, give support to your lower back, and also gives you a tight feel all around the body.
When you are all set to build a stronger core, you can’t ignore obliques. They act as support during rational exercise and also for keeping a balance your way through your lifestyle.
These obliques are not just ‘side abs’ but more and are responsible for making your body healthier overall.
So, do those crunches work in favor of your obliques? Then what works?
Well, fitness experts from all around the world suggest various exercises that are to be included in your workout program to burn fat and build a strong core.
Here are 8 of the best oblique exercises to include in your workout!
Side Plank Hip Dips
Many fitness specialists swear by this exercise to build your core strength, particularly the obliques. It is one of the best multi-muscle practices that work great for core strength and stability.
It targets the abs, obliques, and back muscles too. It would be a great add-on into a tone program for women or men.
- Lie down on your one side with one elbow propped up, aligning your body straight and stacked on top of one another, then slowly lift up your hips.
- You have to lower down your hip slowly until it touches the ground barely, then you have to lift back up. Perform 10-12 reps before dropping down completely. Repeat the whole process on the other side.
If you are ever mistaken mountain climbers for abs only, then you are wrong! Mountain climbers are known for engaging the whole of your core.
This exercise hits your abdominals and your obliques both. Not only this, it boosts your cardiac health and also increases your pelvic mobility.
- Take an inclining platform and position your hands on the platform, placing your hands wider than the shoulder. Pull your one leg inwards to the chest.
- You have to maintain the motion, and once you put your forward leg backward, push your alternate inward to the chest. Do two sets for 30 reps on each side.
Breakdancer is perfect cardio that not only pumps your heart rate but also tones up your obliques. So, this exercise can help you shed overall body fat and help in revealing your waistline quicker. How to perform this exercise?
- Begin with all fours— knees underneath the hips and your wrist placed underneath your shoulders. Exhale to hold the abs and then lift the knees to hover off the mat.
- Then you have to kick your leg under the body and diagonally to the left while rotating hips to the left and dropping your heel on the mat. At the same time, raise your left arm and come to the position of all four and hover. Exercise for 30 seconds and repeat on the opposite side for 30 seconds again. Keep the count of reps equal on both sides.
This exercise is a wonderful exercise for obliques. But not just the obliques, this exercise helps tone your upper body too. This one is performed in the plank position and is one of the best exercises out of the workout program to burn fat.
- Begin with a declining position—that means you have to take a plank position but with your legs at some elevation. Place your hands wider than your shoulders and with an engaged core.
- Lift your right leg and while keeping it straight; then drag your leg over towards the outside of the right hand. Touch down the floor with your toe. Lift back and return to the starting position.
This exercise works as a wonder for your core as it isolates the obliques for further strengthening. It keeps them entirely activated during the whole movement range while keeping the lower back protected at all costs.
- Lie down on your back, extend your arms straight up above your head.
- Engage your core; lift your legs into a position where your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. Tilt the knees to the left and lower the feet until your toes barely touch the floor without changing the angle of knees. Do it on both sides and count it as one rep. Do three sets of 15 reps.
Curl with a Twist
If you wish to increase the mobility in your obliques, core strength with a lean body, then curl with a twist. A body tone program should definitely include this exercise.
- Lie down with your knees bent and feet lying flat on the floor, hip-width apart. Hold a small exercising ball, point elbows outwards, and then curl up, still pressing your lower back down into the mat. Hold it for at least 10 seconds while abs are entirely engaged in the process.
- Lay down on the back of your waist, twist your upper body to the left and then hold it there for 30 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
- Keep your feet in the air for a better challenge.
Oblique Side Sit-Ups
Another great exercise to reveal a fine waistline, oblique side sit-ups work perfectly to make your oblique strong.
- Lie down on your back. Lift your right ankle and put it on the left knee. Then place your opposite hand on the folded leg and do the sit-ups.
- This exercise will engage your core and target the obliques. Repeat three sets of 12 reps on both sides.
Toe Heels Touches with Weight
This exercise is the most fun one. You can play your favorite high energy song and move along with the tempo. This exercise works so effectively on your obliques.
- Stand right up with your feet slightly wider than the hips. Take 5 to 10 lbs weight in each hand and with your right-hand touch right toe. Repeat the step with the other arm.
- Avoid bending too much from the hips. Slowly perform the exercise for 30 seconds and then increase the pace for another 30 seconds.
Stock Photos from fizkes / Shutterstock