We’ve put together a list that we think you’ll benefit from:
Dumbbells are very versatile in terms of what type of exercise you can do with them. After settling on the right one for your from below, browse around for some home gym dumbbell training programs to get an idea of the various exercise possibilities.
Want to learn more? Jump to: Beginners Guide to Adjustable Dumbbells
Adding Dumbbells to Your Home Gym Setup
Deciding on the best adjustable dumbbells to incorporate into your workout routine is a good idea, whether you’re a fitness buff or just starting out on your journey toward health.
With a variety of dumbbell exercises to choose from, the only question you need to ask is, “What color do I like?”
But because not all exercise equipment is created equal, and adjustable dumbbells being no exception, it’s important to do the research before making the decision to buy. Fortunately, our main goal is providing you with valuable gym equipment and general fitness information.
10 of the Highest Reviewed Dumbbells
Reading the below reviews of these dumbbells will ensure you get the right one for you and ultimately end up a satisfied customer.
Luckily all of the ones on the below list have been tried and tested by many of your fellow fitness enthusiasts, including us!
This adjustable dumbbell set is versatile and convenient. It’s small and easy to store, and provides just what you need to perform a variety of exercises.
- Made of high-quality cast iron
- Finishes include black and chrome
- Single piece kit offers 52.5 pounds and 100 pounds
- Double piece kit offers 105 pounds and 200 pounds
- Plates are durable cast iron
- Collars and handles are designed for a secure fit.
Made by MTN Gearsmith, these dumbbells are a great option. Though the chrome plating has been known to peel off slightly, that’s a small price to pay for a set like this.
If you’re looking to shape and sculpt your arms, shoulders, chest, back, legs, and abs, this is the dumbbell option for you. Perform over 30 exercises with this one tool.
- Heavy-duty construction made with chrome-plated steel
- Weight ranges from 10 to 50 pounds
- Eliminates the need for more than one dumbbell
- The compact design saves space
- Unique slide adjustment system combines nine sets of weights
- Easily adjustable by moving a knob
Bayou Fitness has created the perfect product for those who want to get in shape and build lean muscle.
While this dumbbell isn’t ideal for the heavy lifter or bodybuilder who needs more than 50 pounds, it’s perfect for the average Joe (or Jane) looking to tone up.
|$152.00 & FREE Shipping||More Info|
With this professional-grade dumbbell set, you can have the experience of a traditional set – without the restrictions or safety concerns. Each dumbbell can be adjusted from five to 75 pounds in 15 seconds or less, and there’s no need to worry about dropping them, since they’re made with no plastic or fragile parts.
- Adjusts in seconds with the Quick-Lock design
- Super heave-duty construction
- System comes with two dumbbells at 75 pounds each and a stand
- Takes up less than two feet with the stand, for a space-efficient design
- Purchase includes a limited time warranty.
While the Quick-Lock feature is a great idea, it may not always be feasible in real life for the routine weight lifter. The locking mechanism has been said to get stuck, so switching between workouts isn’t quite as fast as the company claims.
That said, this is worth a bit more research for those looking for heavy-duty adjustable dumbbells.
|$599.00 & FREE Shipping||More Info|
Versatile and effective, these adjustable dumbbells work like a weight stack at the gym, allowing you to switch weights simply by moving the weight selector pin into the appropriate spot. This single pair of dumbbells can do the work of several, saving you both space and money.
- Allows for efficient and cost-effective strength training
- Adjusts from three to 24 pounds per hand
- Selector pin provides an easy way to change weights
- Compact and balanced compared to traditional dumbbells
- Offers wrist protection with padded handles
- Comes with a limited 10-year warranty.
This set, manufactured by Power Block, definitely qualifies as one of the best deals on adjustable dumbbells. It’s great for exercisers with weak wrists and for those who want to focus on weight loss and muscle toning.
But because the set only go up to 24 hands per side, it might not be right for the power lifter.
This set of elite dumbbells offers the same awesome features that Power Block is known for, but with a higher weight maximum.
- Kit has a weight range of five to 90 pounds per hand
- Takes the place of 28 pairs of dumbbells
- Comes with a 10-year home use warranty.
Although a bit more expensive than some others, this adjustable dumbbell set provides everything needed for a hard-core, heavy-weight workout.
|$129.99 – $590.91||More Info|
Made by Bowflex, this single dumbbell option works well for basic training and strength workouts, as well as heavy leg lifts.
- Does the work of several adjustable dumbbells
- Adjusts from 10 pounds of weight to 90 pounds of weight
- Easily changes weight amount with the turn of a dial
- Durable molding around the metal plates
- Allows for a smooth and quiet liftoff
- Compact and ideal for space-saving storage.
While there are few negative reviews on this product, it has been noted that the handle grip isn’t as comfortable as some others.
But for the price of this adjustable dumbbell, more looking into this workout equipment is certainly warranted and is sure to be of benefit in the end.
The Cap Barbell 40 Pound Dumbbell Set is ideal for both the beginning strength trainer and the advanced weight lifter. Each dumbbell can be adjusted to your preferred amount of weight, giving you the versatility of gym equipment right from your own home.
- Features comfort handles, ergonomic grips, and rubber trim collars
- Semi-gloss finished cast iron plates long-term rust- and maintenance-free use
- Comes with a sturdy plastic carrying case for organization and travel
- Set is easy to use and store.
Made by CAP Barbell, this set gives you the ability to workout with 40 pounds of weight for a price that can’t be beat.
But use with caution, as the gains you may attain using this exercise tool will be noticeable, and the attention may be too much to bear.
This product from Universal by Nautilus includes two adjustable dumbbells and a convenient, sturdy stand for storage. The kit takes the place of 18 individual free weights, allowing you to exercise without the need for a huge space.
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 4 to 45 pounds in increments of five pounds
- Allows for a rapid switch from one workout to the next
- Saves space and money
- Includes a dumbbell stand for convenient storage
- Offers a comfortable non-slip grip with a durable thermoplastic rubber handle
- Features a propriety plate locking system for safe workouts
- Weights adjust with the quick turn of a dial.
Nautilus is a long-time leader in home fitness. They regularly introduce machines and workouts that were previously available only in the best gyms.
These adjustable dumbbells are no exception to the excellent quality of products that Nautilus offers.
#2 – Starring Adjustable Dumbbells
Manufactured by Ringstar, this adjustable dumbbell set allows you to lift more weight than many others on the market.
- Made with gym quality cast iron
- Allows for easy set up or dismount by hand
- Adjustable in five pound increments up to 100 pounds per dumbbell
- Comes with safety trays to protect indoor areas
- Easy set up requires no tools.
While this set is certainly a good option, it has been reported that the handles are a bit rough. However, this problem can easily be corrected with a good pair of gloves.
|$79.89 & FREE Shipping||More Info|
Ultimately, the number one spot goes to. . .
Bowflex does it again, the SelectTech 552 is a work of art. A great addition to any and all home gym setups around the globe. A worthy investment that is sure to last you a very long time.
This innovative pair of dumbbells combines 15 sets of weights into one. Made by Bowflex, the kit boasts the ability to perform over 30 exercises by using its unique dialing system.
- Space-efficient, unique, and effective design
- Convenient dial system allows you to change weight quickly
- Adjusts in 2.5 pound increments, giving you the ability to increase strength without gaining bulk
- Weight ranges from five to 52.5 pounds per dumbbell
- Two-year warranty available on the weights and parts.
Like some of the others we’ve mentioned, this adjustable dumbbell set is great for beginners and those fitness enthusiasts who want to tone without bulking up.
Bowflex has invested a great amount of time and money into bringing fitness enthusiasts the best home gym equipment it is able to produce. With these adjustable dumbbells, it certainly hasn’t failed us!
Click on a section below to jump right to it.
- What is the purpose of adjustable dumbbells?
- What are the benefits of using adjustable dumbbells?
- The proper way to exercise with adjustable dumbbells
- The drawbacks of barbell weight benches
- What to look for in adjustable dumbbells?
–or jump back up to the list–
- Jump to the Best Adjustable Dumbbells Listing
Lucky for you, we’ve got all the inside information. After you’ve seen the specifics of each product above, or maybe even before, let’s talk a bit about the basics and how to make sure you’re getting the best adjustable dumbbells for your specific fitness goals.
The main purpose of adjustable dumbbells, as with any type of weight-lifting tool, is to strengthen and tone your body. Interestingly, modern research has found that strength training not only serves to build muscle, but it also improves weight loss results when combined with cardio routines.
As an added bonus, weight lifting helps prevent age-related conditions like osteoporosis, keeping you healthier overall as you mature. And because strength training improves coordination, adding dumbbells to your routine decreases the risks of age-related falls and accidents.
But what makes adjustable dumbbells standout from their barbell counterparts is the ability for users to unilaterally train both limbs being worked at the same time. When using other weightlifting equipment, you may experience a strength imbalance, which occurs when one limb naturally does more work than its opposite during an exercise.
Take a standing barbell press, for example. It’s easy for your dominate side to take the brunt of the work. But with adjustable dumbbells, your body doesn’t have that option. Each side is forced to work equally hard, which helps to correct any strength imbalances you may have.
In addition to preventing and correcting strength imbalances, there are several reasons you may want to consider switching out your weight machine or barbell exercises – at least occasionally – for adjustable dumbbell routines.
- Dumbbell exercises are joint-friendly. When you work out with a weight machine or a barbell, you’re more prone to injuries or joint pain. This is because your hands are fixed in place, with little ability to move them as needed for maximum comfort. With adjustable dumbbells, you can rotate as you press. For this reason, people with previous injuries are often better off using mostly dumbbells over other options.
- Adjustable dumbbells are perfect for limited space and resources. When you want to work out at home but don’t have the room to put in an entire home gym, dumbbells are the answer. And with an adjustable set, you can pay a fraction of what you’d spend on the same amount of weight in a traditional set.
- Dumbbells let you get the most out of your workout. Because there’s no machine keeping you stable, training with dumbbells causes you to use more of your core muscles to keep yourself stabilized.
- Adjustable dumbbells make it easy to go from one exercise to the next. With a simple quick change pin, you can switch your weight amount and go straight into the next workout in your routine.
While the benefits of using adjustable dumbbells are numerous and the variety of exercises considerable, injury can occur if you don’t know what you’re doing. Several techniques exist to ensure you get the desired results from your dumbbell workouts, but a few things remain true of each technique.
First, be aware of whether you may be unintentionally cheating. What do we mean by “cheating,” and how is that possible? Simple: by moving your body in ways that make the dumbbell exercise easier. Swaying forward and backward while performing bicep curls is one example. It might allow you to do more reps, but it won’t benefit your muscle gain goals.
Secondly, it’s crucial to maintain good posture throughout each and every dumbbell exercise. Not only does this keep you from cheating and allow you to get the results you crave, but it also helps prevent injury.
And finally, be careful when picking up and putting down your dumbbells, especially after a workout when your muscles are tired. Remember to use proper lifting techniques and then gently place the dumbbells back on the ground, bending with your legs. Not taking the right precautions could leave you with a debilitating injury.
While using a barbell is just fine, and even preferable, for some people, it can be completely damaging for others. Why? Because the mechanics of lifting weights with a barbell and lifting adjustable dumbbells are pretty different.
As we mentioned earlier, weight training with barbells on a weight bench requires specific hand positioning and doesn’t allow for much movement or flexibility. Due to the mechanics required for weight bench and barbell use, you may experience some negative side effects after repeated sessions. Things to watch for include:
- Bencher’s Chest – This is the name given to a lack of chest development that results from too many low-rep barbell bench presses.
- Increased risk of injury – Between the stress barbell work puts on your joints and the pure amount of weight being lifted, injury is almost guaranteed with heavy barbell weight bench training.
- Lack of strength transference – It’s been found that the strength you gain from barbell training doesn’t necessarily transfer to everyday activities, or even athletic activities. This is because all conditioning is specific to the exercise performed for said conditioning. Exercising with dumbbells, on the other hand, allows you to vary your conditioning and be better equipped to handle anything on the field, court, or mat that comes your way.
Now that you’ve read up on background and benefits, you’re probably wondering who makes the best adjustable dumbbells and looking for the best price on adjustable dumbbells. Before we give you our list of the top 10 for 2018, here’s what you need to know about choosing and buying your set.
- The plates should be easy to switch out.
- Read the reviews of each set you’re considering.
- Look for a set that has both the lightest weight and the heaviest weight you’ll use.
- Make sure the plates won’t slide once in place.
- Storage of the set should be doable with your specific space.
There you have it, folks. Our top 10 picks for the best adjustable dumbbells on the market in 2018. With these options available, it’s easy to find the right set for your specific fitness needs.
We thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read about our top adjustable dumbbell picks, hopefully one or more of the choices on this line up caught your attention and it makes a great addition to your home gym or garage gym collection.
It’s worth mentioning that in no way is this list set in stone. We’ll be updating this lineup continuously, so be sure to circle back when you get a chance to double check. Or stay up to date by liking our Facebook page or following us on Twitter.
Gain more knowledge on fitness equipment: Gym Equipment Names and Pictures
“Please take a second and help us spread the word by sharing this with fellow fitness enthusiasts. It helps our site and helps us help you! ” – Team GymVentures